Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Clothes Make the Woman

This week of my otaku life has been awesome. Here's what I did:


1. Finished Tenchi in Tokyo, started Guilty Crown

Some of you may have caught wind of my article on Tenchi in Tokyo back in December on Project Otaku. Of all the older Tenchi incarnations, I have to say Tokyo reigns supreme. The animation direction for that show was particularly hilarious, take my word for it, as characters became unusually stretched out and "zany" for lack of a better word. The fact that punk ass Tenchi actually has a love interest changes the entire harem dynamic, something most harem shows never dare to do. It's an oldie, but certainly a goodie.

After that I immediately started Guilty Crown, a show my GoBoiano homie Maj recommended. He says to watch out for the conclusion of the series, but so far I'm digging it. Production I.G. usually never fails me. I promised Tom I would finish Cowboy Bebop soon, so that's on my To Do List as well.


2. Got a Surface tablet

Not related to anime at all, but I'm retiring my old netbook, Motoko, after four and a half years of excellent service. I bought a Surface tablet yesterday, and I'm impressed so far. Which leads me to...




3. Watched episode 16 of Kill la Kill

My Lord, this was among the most intense episodes of the series - and there was no combat! Kill la Kill makes a Gurren Lagann-esque turn by stating clothing ushered man's evolution. Clothing fibers, as the show explains, are parasitic aliens from space that sap life force from hosts. They bonded with humans in order to survive, and as clothing changed, we evolved with it. It's more confusing than it sounds, which disappoints me. I didn't know Studio Trigger's levels of insanity ran so deeply.

The highlight of this week's episode isn't even the clothing story: Kiryuin Satsuki and her mother share a bath scene together, which was of course confusing and taboo but absolutely arousing. I won't even get into the details. At least it's different from the brother-sister incest anime is obsessed with nowadays, and a hell of a lot more captivating.


4. Ghost in the Shell Arise: Ghost Pain

Bought this bad boy on Amazon Prime video for $3.99. Naturally it was cool but confusing, so I'll watch it again soon and write a review on it.



5. Maid Café!!!

Stopped by the new Maid Café in New York, with Julie and Maj from GoBoiano. There were a bunch of Attack on Titan cosplayers there, so that was cool. The green jasmine bubble tea is good too.


That's all I've got for now. Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment