Thursday, May 16, 2013

Post-humanism in Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Innocence (2004)

After two years of blood, sweat and anime, I've finished my senior thesis, "Establishing a Post-human Identity through Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell and Innocence Films." It's about fifty pages long, plus some screencaps, sources and an acknowledgment page. In the paper, I argue that Mamoru Oshii harbors a complex view on humanity: we are both bodies and minds, and we use one aspect of that duality or both to identify ourselves in a technologically saturated post-human realm. Ultimately, we find meaning in the relationships we have with all entities as only humans can. I'll admit, the paper is a little humanistic in that I'm suggesting humans are important at all, but hierarchy shouldn't be the implied rhetoric here. I doubt I solved any of life's mysteries with my writing. In any case, this paper has been a labor of love, and I hope readers enjoy it. It is downloadable as a PDF.



http://www.scribd.com/doc/141883612/Establishing-a-Post-Human-Identity-Through-Mamoru-Oshiis-Ghost-in-the-Shell-and-Innocence-Films


Nelson Rolon
Creator of anime-guardians.com
anime.guardians03@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment