Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Musings of the Editor in Chief

* Update: As of May 2013 my senior project is completed and titled "Establishing a Post-human Identity through Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell and Innocence Films." It can be found on the Post-humanity tab above, and is available in PDF format.




At one point in time, calling myself the Editor in Chief of The Anime Guardians made sense, because I had a number of writers other than myself contributing content to the site. Considering those writers have gone on with their lives and stopped writing reviews, this blog is now a one man operation and "Editor in Chief" is a title without a meaning. Oh well. I like the sound of Nelson Rolon, Editor in Chief, so it'll stick for a while longer. Anyway, I have actual news to report, so read on!



As I'm sure you've noticed, the blog has gone through a number of changes over the past month. Visually, our page is a lot cleaner and leaning towards a minimalist aesthetic, with white, black, and pastel colors predominant. We've even got a cool banner; I'm going to take Eureka down eventually and have our own neglected site mascot Jean pose there instead. The only question is, "When?" Right now I don't know the answer to that myself. Maybe mid-December, when I get some free time.

Most of the posts nowadays are different from the reviews format I started out with nearly a year ago (wow, almost a year old? That's insane). Writers mature and so does their writing, and after a year of engaging with other bloggers and seeing their work, I can say I've learned a lot and experienced more than I would have if I had moped around my house last winter, grieving over my relationship woes and hating the world. I want my work to be insightful and entertaining and more than simply a display of my school knowledge and intellectual elitism. Anime is rich and textual and fun, and my writing should express that.

The latest of these writing innovations is the creation of the "Flesh and Steel" tab, where I put all my writings on anime cyborgs and posthumanism. My senior project is certainly a daunting task, but choosing to cover something I already enjoy and spend a lot of time on seemed the wisest choice to make. I want to write my next entry on Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and maybe Parasite Dolls.I'm sure I'll get to it this weekend.

As far as my work with GoBoiano, I hilariously quit my job on Monday only to un-quit Wednesday. My priorities lie in getting my senior project and other school assignments done, but when I'm not doing those things there isn't anything else to do except fart around. I figured being a Deputy Editor was much more enjoyable and productive than doing nothing.

One last thing: I'll be putting up a top 12 list for the best anime this 2012, as part of a larger online poll between dozens of anibloggers. You'll see it posted soon enough!


- Nelson Rolon
Editor in Chief of The Anime Guardians
anime.guardians03@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment