Friday, December 23, 2011

Musings of the Editor-in-Chief


Hello readers! This is Elijah Lee, Editor-in-Chief of The Anime Guardians. I say that with a smile on my face; for now I am the only one working on the blog. At some point it would be nice to have other friends helping me out, but for now this is something I do not mind doing on my own. It takes time to watch a series, no matter how long that series may be, and to analyze it until you feel that a decent assessment can be typed. In any case, I felt the need to notify readers of how the blog is running.


The review for Canaan will be up before Monday. I've watched it twice now, and I want to see it a third time before I begin to write my review. It's a fairly complex show, or at least that's how I percieve it to be. Complexity is a good thing when it implies depth and substance, and bad when it implies difficulty and obtuseness. I'll specify how this relates to Canaan in the review. For now, I can tell you that I've been considering a "4 stars out of 5" rating.

With FLCL and Canaan I consciously chose to review shorter series; I'm just starting the blog and so wanted material I could conver fairly quickly. The next series will likely be Birdy the Mighty: Decode or Rideback. A series such as Birdy has 26 episodes; I'll split the series in half and review 13 episodes at a time, which is especially apropos considering the dramatic shift in tone mid-season. Rideback only has 12 episodes, which makes my job easier.

I mention series lengths because I should draw one line in the sand: I will rarely review a series longer than two seasons. This means no Naruto, Bleach or One Piece. I have nothing against these shows; however, they are still running and have well over 200 episodes. Many shows that try sticking closely to their manga sources are entirely too long for the purposes of this blog. The movies for these shows, however, is fair game. Spin-off films based on anime shows are often stand-alone and non-canon, and can be watched without too much knowledge of the actual series.

I suppose that's all I've really been considering in terms of the blog. With The Anime Guardians being a very new blog, I'm trying to watch anime and write material as quickly as possible in order to gain attention. Publicity is also something I work on everyday. I'm learning to take life one day at a time. To anyone who's reading, stick around and I guarantee you will like what you find in the next few weeks. Feel free to drop an email my way. I would me more than happy to respond to anyone's requests, or even an offer to do reviews.

- Elijah Lee
Editor-in-Chief at The Anime Guardians
anime.guardians03@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment