Sunday, January 26, 2014

SAINT YOUNG MEN

I totally forgot I watched this last weekend. Saint Young Men became one of those Tumblr phenomenons my roommate introduced me to, because I don't tumble. Saint Young Men is a four chapter OVA adapted from a manga of the same name. Its main characters are none other than Buddha and Jesus, and they live in an apartment together. Was it a recipe for success?


Tell you the truth, it wasn't half bad, even  hilarious some parts. It's a film that only could have come out of Japan, and I'm glad someone finally thought to make such a story. It would have been easy to make the story incredibly insensitive, which I found to be a double edged sword for the OVA. Maybe it should have been more offensive? Saint Young Men does the typical Japanese pop culture narrative and squeezes oddities into ordinary circumstances... and that gets boring real fast. Why are Japanese writers so obsessed with normalcy? Do I really need to see Jesus going to a grocery store? 

Anyway, I could tell you about it, or you can go watch it. I'd choose the latter. It's a little quirky, and a lot Japanese.


No comments:

Post a Comment