Monday, January 20, 2014

The New Powerpuff Girls!

Tonight, Cartoon Newtork threw old school faithfuls and new blood hipster kids for a loop by debuting the Powerpuff Girls remake. If the thought of this 22 year old neckbeard watching little girl cartoons with his roommate makes you cringe, get out. Real men watch Powerpuff Girls.


I really dig this new vision for the franchise, though there's no word of any long-term plans that I know of. My roomate Leslie compared the visuals to Gumball, another CN animation. I think it's a good call, sans inclusion of any real-life backdrops. Powerpuff Girls had some amazing three-dimensional pseudo South Park CG rendering going on, to fantastic results. The real draw-in for me is the strong, almost realistic lighting in the show. A real treat, guys.

Powerpuff Girls has a nice modern touch for the most part, the intermittent breakdance battle and use of 1990s slang term "word" withstanding. Even with all its modern coolness and digital sheen, the characters are pretty much the same, which is where this episode gets things right. The Mayor's pickle fetish is downright hilarious; Blossom still rants about justice and shit; and Professor Utonium's still an unfulfilled adult who wasn't ready for kids. The only dynamic that's odd is Mojo Jojo's lack of redundant speech, which was present but not as prevalent as I remember. 

All in all, I'd love me some more Powerpuff Girls. My favorite girl back in the day was Blossom, but Buttercup's got some cute spiked-hair badassery vibe that's pretty cool this time around. Actually, everyone's got cool hair in this remake. Watch the show for the hair, people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment